Monday, July 25, 2011

DAY 64: Back from the Island!



Hello friends!
I am back from my last amazing weekend trip! The Skellig Michael Islands. (here is a link to help explain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael)

It was absolutely amazing! and a little scary~! First thing first how did I get there? Well i tried about every kind of Irish transportation possible. I left on Saturday, after my Friday final exam (which went great thank you), grabbing the city bus, I bought "Dune" the best book ever, caught the Luas (like a above grown subway), then the 11am train to Mallow, change train to Killarny, Then grabbed the Bus Eireanne (after buying a new ticket) to Cahirciveen, then made called a taxi to Portmagee where my hostel was, about 10 min walk to the water. Oh ya, that night I watched 'Cabernet' alone, in the common room.

Next day I was lucky enough to get a spot in the Brenden Casey Boat service to the Skelligs. On the way there (after taking my motion sickness pills) we saw some seals! When getting to the main island, really a large rock, we scrambled out of our tiny fisherman's boat to the rock path. After following the small path, we soon came to a steep set of stairs curving of the rock face. These are the same steps that the monks created centuries before to lead up to the beautiful and peaceful monastery at the top of the mountain. Oh the steps seemed so beautiful, so peaceful, so lovely from the bottom of the rocks; not so much after 200 steps on a steep, unstable, dirty, rock hill. It was more of a hike! I was unaware of these challenges and left without my water bottle, thank goodness my new friend, Phillipo, from Italy was lovely enough to give me his. After our very ....um...athletic journey up the rock we fell upon the monastic village which would have originally housed around 12 monks and workers. WE then took the even more dangerous trip down the, now wet, rock stairs.

Oh did I mention the Puffins? They were So cute! It is nesting time so all of the birds had taken over the island. Oh did I also mention that it is a world heritage site? and nature sanctuary?

And the way home we saw dolphins, and not just a few, a whole family, with baby dolphins! Ya I saw Baby dolphins in Ireland, how could you beat that?

The next day I got up and caught a taxi to repeat my crazy transportation journey, but this time backwards! Back at DCU, after a shower of coarse, I helped with a lighting refocus in the venue. Exactly what I wanted, nothing makes me feel more at home than being in a theatre. Thank you for having me help Ash.

Anywho, now time for a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment