Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DAY 28: Cork, Theatre and a Broken Bus


Hello all!

I am sorry it has been so long but this weekend I had the great pleasure of visiting the south of Ireland...well It was nice, but not everything went perfectly.

We left on Friday after class, had a 5hour plus drive. Where we watched Micheal Collins, the movie, which would have been great if I hadn't stayed up the night before watching the same movie the night before. Spent a bit of time in the hostel and The Randy Leprechaun Bar, and then went to bed early.

Next day we went to the Dingle Peninsula, where we got on a boat to see Fungie, the Dolphin. Little did we know it was going to be a Very small boat, with no cover, while raining, and freezing. After being convinced to board I found the ride to be much less filled with motion sickness than I imagined. We then went to get something to eat and drink in Murphy's bar. After that we went to see and taste the famous Murphy's Ice cream's Original location! It was lovely - I had honeycomb and dark chocolate! Even good in the rain.

That night most of the group went out drinking, I made it to the second bar and decided to head home. I am reading Dune, and needed some time.

Next day we made it to Cork. I bought a shirt at a swap meet in a bar and then returned to the bus, which had broken down. Poor Jerry, the BAMF Bus Driver was freeken' out! After about 2 hours in the sun (VERY HOT) we got the bus working and headed to the Blarney Stone. Due to the late bus we only had 25min at the Blarney Castle which was really cool! But getting back on the bus was not, literally. The air-conditioning didn't work, on the hottest day this entire summer in Ireland! The bus with 35 people (which sat 36) was filled with sweating and grumpy girls (2 guys) who had 3 hours of driving ahead of them. We watched movies, but it didn't stop up of sweating so much that I took of my shirt. I didn't care anymore.

The best part was that the bus then broke down, in the middle of the road. I buttoned up my shirt and got out to push it! Thank GOD that gave it enough of a push to start up again - See photo above!
Finally made it home after a short stop in Limerick.

On a different note, I went to see Translations, a play by Brian Freil at the ABBY Theatre. Absolutely lovely!


ok I have to scoot! Sendinh my love

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fantastic mis-adventure. And by fantastic, I mean story-worthy and climate-challenged.

    ReplyDelete